In a society where we are bombarded with fashion, how on earth do we decide who the top ten designers are? Well, after quite a lot of pondering, I came up with some names that I thought were a well-rounded group of creative minds. While I could just throw them all at you from one to ten, I figured (for those of you who don't know all of them) I'd give you a little background on them. So bare in mind that this is not a 1-10, best to um...less? These are the best from all over the board. So here goes.
1. VALENTINO GARAVANI. Hailing from Voghera Italy, this man knows how to make a woman look like a goddess. Though his shows speak for themself, the one place you are sure to find a Valentino dress is on the red carpet. Having dressed many of the world's most famous leading ladies (such as Julia Roberts and Elizabeth Taylor), he has proven his talent and risen to the top as (in my opinion) The King of Elegance.
2. TOM FORD is not only extremely talented, but he's hot too. Born in Texas, Tom originally trained to be an actor! Can you believe that? Thank goodness we pulled him over to the good side (kidding). But really, this man is not only the Creative Director for Gucci, he's also the Creative Director fro Yves Saint Laurent. Ford stole the show at the first ever VH1 Fashion Awards and won the Best International Designer Award in 2000.
3. DONATELLA VERSACE, while a little flamboyant herself, is still one of fashions most loved divas. Born in Calabria Italy, she graciously took over her late brother Gianni Versace's already flawless design house. By following in his footsteps, and having just as much passion for the industry as her brother, Donatella has become know for her sexy yet elegant designs.
4. ALEXANDER MCQUEEN is one of the worlds most innovative and outstanding couturiers. Known for his theatrical influence, his creations are not only beautiful but also colorful and raw.
5. BETSEY JOHNSON. Her designs are brilliant, bold and fun. They are funky and edgy, with a lifetime of flare. Straight from the American fashion capital [New York] Betsey is known for "her celebration of the exuberant".
6. RALPH LAUREN. He could possibly be the king of ready-to wear. When anyone mentions Ralph you know they have a deep love for fashion. Ralph Lauren studied business science and even served his time in the army. Known for dressing the most beautiful in the "prep" world, his lines now include Polo Ralph Lauren, Polo Sport, and the Ralph Lauren collections.
7. JOHN GALLIANO graduated from London's St. Martins College of Art & Design in 1983. With help from friends and loved ones, Galliano put on his first show in 1984. Creating designs with a historical influence, he has worked hard to gain the title of Chief Designer at Givenchy and the House of Christian Dior prize at LVMH.
8. DOMENICO DOLCE & STEFANO GABBANA. Here are two household names. I'm rather sure that almost every woman and man in the fashion world has some piece by these two geniuses. Every woman who wears D&G can be sure to feel sexy and confident. They both hail from Italy, and are known for making the "stars look like Stars".
9. MARC JACOBS is another one of those incredibly talented designers who makes everyone who wears his clothing feel like they are the cutting edge of fashion. This year his collection showcased a series of 60's housewife inspired dresses that were not only cute but also incredibly feminine. This one is one of my personal faves.
10. STELLA MCCARTNEY. I think the name says it all, but being the new girl on the block, we definitely have to give her credit. While being the daughter of a superstar, Stella has managed to carve a huge place for herself in the fashion world. And we love her for it. Her clothes are the height of class and speak volumes of her personal talent.
Well, that's it for this girls top ten. Now believe me, this list doesn't even touch the amount of talent out there. But really, who does decide this stuff? In all honesty, everyone has a taste all of their won in the fashion industry and that makes us all contributors to the fame and success of any fashion designer. It's people like you who really make or break this industry, so be proud.